The Accord, built by Honda Motor Company, is one of the most popular mid-sized sedans available in the United States. The eighth generation Accord built from 2008 to 2012 and ninth generation Accord built from 2013 to the present are some of the most popular used cars on Mojo Motors. The Accord is available in both a sedan and coupe. Accord in-class competitors are other mid-size sedans like the Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Malibu, Volkswagen Passat, Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata.
- The first Honda Accord in the United States back in 1982 was a hatchback.
- The Accord was the first Honda to be built in America at the company’s West Marysville, Ohio plant.
- A used 2008 Honda Accord has a 268 HP V6 engine. The first Honda Accord had a 68 HP I4 engine.
- In 2010, the 10th Million Honda Accord was built in America.
- Consumer Reports picked the Accord as one of the “best cars for larger drivers.”
- The Honda Accord was the first Japanese car produced in the United States.
- Some people say this commercial for the Honda Accord one of the greatest ever.
- The Honda Accord is the fourth most popular vehicle on Mojo Motors, behind the Ford F150, Jeep Wrangler and Honda Civic
Honda Accord Engine & MPG
The eighth-gen Honda Accord has a couple of different engine combinations depending on their trim and body style.
The Accord LX and LX-P sedan has a 5-speed automatic or manual transmission paired to a i-VTEC four cylinder 177-horsepower engine. The LX and LX-P Accord gets between 21 and 31 MPG.
The Accord EX and EX-L sedan comes with a 5-speed automatic or manual transmission paired to a i-VTEC four cylinder 190-horsepower engine. An optional 6-speed automatic i-VTEC V6 with 271-horsepower engine, pictured below, is also available. The four cylinder EX and EX-L engine gets about 30 MPG combined. The V6 engine get between about 25 MPG combined.
The Accord Coupe with the LX-S, EX and EX-L trims has the 5-speed automatic or manual transmission paired to the same i-VTEC four cylinder 190 horsepower engine as the EX and EX-L sedan.
Certified Honda Accords
Certified pre owned (CPO) Accords are more expensive than non-certified used cars, but this is because they have passed a series of strict inspections and rules.
A used Honda Accord that qualifies as CPO must have less than 80,000 miles and be no more than six years old. A CPO Accord must also be inspected by a Honda-certified technician so you know it is a true CPO Accord if it is at a Honda-franchise dealership.
Written by Max Katsarelas