The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a mid-size SUV built by the Chrysler Corporation in Detroit, Michigan. The most Followed Jeep Grand Cherokees on Mojo Motors are from the fourth generation, also known as WK2, built from 2010 to present. The latest Grand Cherokee is their most refined and luxurious, yet. As a result, it has won a host of awards including a Top Safety Pick from the IIHS, it has been named a Best Buy from Consumers Digest and the Safest SUV in America. In addition, it won the Luxury SUV of Texas Award since Jeep Grand Cherokees for sale in Texas are one of the most prevalent search in the Longhorn State. And finally, the 4×4 system in the Grand Cherokee was named better than all other SUVs in its class like the Kia Sorento, Ford Edge and Nissan Murano.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a number of different trims from affordable and economical to luxurious and premium. Lower end trims on the Grand Cherokee are the Laredo or Laredo X, while more expensive trims include the Limited, Overland or Overland Summit. This wide range of types and options is why used Jeep Grand Cherokees for sale in New York is the second most popular used car search just behind the Honda Civic on Mojo Motors. In addition, a used Jeep Grand Cherokee in New Jersey is the fifth most popular used car search.
Jeep Grand Cherokee & Jeep Wrangler
Shoppers looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee consider the four-door Jeep Wrangler as well. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the more refined and often-times, a more expensive alternative to the Wrangler. The refinement is noticed by comparing the Jeep Grand Cherokee interior with the Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler is known for more plastic and utilitarian finishes, but it makes sense since Jeep caters the Wrangler to the adventure-seeking outdoor types.
The Grand Cherokee and Wrangler share the same standard Pentastar V6 with 290 horsepower, but the Grand Cherokee gets two more engines, as well. In addition to the Pentastar, the Grand Cherokee has an optional 240 horsepower 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine and a 5.7-liter 360 horsepower HEMI V8 engine available in only the top-of-the-line Grand Cherokee trims.
Aside from the refined interior, seen above, and additional engine choices, the Grand Cherokee also averages better gas mileage than the Wrangler, too. The Pentastar V6 in the Grand Cherokee achieves a combined 20 MPG which bests the 16 MPG combined of the Wrangler. The Grand Cherokee sporting a HEMI V8 gets a combined 15 MPG and the eco-friendly diesel gets a combined (and impressive) 25 MPG which is about the same as a V6 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Highlights & Facts
- The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the most-awarded SUV of all-time
- The Jeep Grand Cherokee is built at the Jefferson North Assembly in Detroit, Michigan where the yet-to-be-named concept Maserati SUV will be built
- Every Jeep Grand Cherokee ever has been a unibody chassis that modern crossovers have adopted
- While many early SUVs were body-on-frame, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been unibody, like many current crossover vehicles, which gives it a smoother and more comfortable ride
- In 2007, Jeep offered a diesel V6 option engineered by Mercedes-Benz
- Grand Cherokees 2010 and newer with HEMI equipped engines have cylinder-deactivation technology that shuts down 4 cylinders while cruising to improve fuel economy
Written by Max Katsarelas